“At Black Rock Mine Operations, we’re excited by what we have achieved up to now, and we’re equally optimisted about the future to deliver on our vision as a team to become the best underground mine in the world.”
Pierre Bekker – Senior General Manager, Black Rock Mine Operations
The Khumani and Beeshoek Mines are located in the Northern Cape province and excavate primarily iron ore, while the Black Rock Mining complex (BRMO), situated 80 km northwest of the town of Kuruman in the Kalahari, focuses its efforts toward highly sought manganese ore.
Black Rock Mine Operations new system is powered by a suite of AVEVA solutions, including System Platform with Historian and OMI visualisation for the video wall. With its current AVEVA solution in place, Black Rock Mine Operations has improved data quality significantly, with some sources improving more than five-fold. Establishing the Central Control Room was also instrumental in Black Rock Mine Operations change process by improving in-shift reporting from less than 50 percent to a sustained 90 percent.
- To migrate a highly fragmented environment to a Central Control Room environment that
facilitates collaboration across operations.
- To integrate various sources of information ranging from Automation to Asset Management
systems to provide a holistic view of the entire value chain of the mine operation.
- Three separate mine locations complicate cross-site collaboration.
- Integration between business systems such as MES and operational systems were unaligned and complex.
- System Platform
- Operations Management Interface
- Nearly double-digit growth in productivity.
- The CCR environment has improved Black Rock Mine Operations data quality significantly, with some sources improving more than five-fold.
- The establishment of the CCR and supporting services was instrumental in the change process by improving
in-shift reporting, from less than 50 percent to a sustained 90 percent.